The INDEM Foundation has been working on the anticorruption subject-matter since fall 1996. Nowadays the following projects are under the process of realization and the following analytical materials have been prepared:
Business and Corruption 2005
Diagnostics of corruption in Russia: 2001-2005
Business and Corruption: how to combat business participation in corruption (2004)
Higher education course “Anti-corruption policy”(2003)
The paper “The role of the notary in counteraction to corruption and the shadow economy (2003).
Regional corruption indices project (2002).
The paper “Corruption on the roads” (2002).
Materials for the Club 2015 on corruption and Constitution (2002).
The paper “Problems and perspectives in application of INTERNET technologies for anticorruption efforts (2001).
The paper “Electoral aspects of corruption” (2001)
Creation of a public INTERNET resource on the problems of fighting corruption(2001).
The paper “Diagnostics of corruption in Russia: Sociological analysis” (2001).
The paper “ Corruption in Russia and around the World” (2001).
The paper “Corruptiogenety of legal regulations” (2001).
Establishment within the INDEM Foundation of the Center for studies of shadow economy and economic problems of corruption (2000).
Workshop “Methods of corruption analysis” (2000).
“The basics of anticorruption policy of Russia” report (2000).
Foundation of the public association “National anticorruption committee” (1999).
The paper “Russia and Corruption: who will carry the day” (1997).
The paper “Corruption modeling” (1996).
Synopsis of the projects:
1. As to the business the impact of corruption is multidimensional: from the reduction of profitability of the business because of “informal” pay-offs to a manifest refusal to take up any business due to the lack of prospects. This program is meant for providing the opportunity of studying the circumstances of functioning small- and medium-scale businesses in modern Russia and for making recommendations to rookie and acting businessmen as of the conduct in corruptive situations and/or avoidance of participation in such occurrences. In the long-term the outlook of the program will contribute to the development of small and medium undertakings in Russia and to the reduction of corruption in the field of business.
2. In 2003 the staff of the INDEM Foundation developed higher education course entitled “Anti-corruption policy”. In fall 2003 the course was given to the fifth-year students of the faculty of state administration in Moscow State University named after M.V.Lomonosov. With the view of success, giving the course a unique study guide embracing theoretical and educational materials on all major problems of corruption and anti-corruption. To get familiarized with excerpts of the textbook click here, and to discuss how to purchase it –here. In addition a selection of resources was prepared that contained the materials of studies carried out by the Foundation, its partners and other organizations engaged in analysis of fighting corruption.More…
Scale analyses of the problem of corruption with reference to the notary service. The final report touches upon different alternatives of setting up the notary service, their corruptibility and reform prospects. Besides, such subjects as notary service and shadow economy, notary service and shadow justice are covered also.More…
3. Regional corruption indices. These corruption indices were built up on the basis of a sociological survey of 5666 individuals and 1838 entrepreneurs representing small and medium business in 40 regions of the Russian Federation. This analysis thereby is unprecedented in scale within the boundary of one country. The Soros Foundation provided financial assistance for realization of the program. The Center “Obshchestvenny monitoring (Public monitoring)” was entrusted with the field stage (questioning). More…
The National anti-corruption committee together with the INDEM Foundation presents the paper “Corruption on the road” (load *.zip). While publishing the paper, we hope that it draws the attention of the masses, because, unlike the time of Ilf and Petrov it needs to love not only the pedestrian but the driver as well. You can find in the paper both quite revolutionary approaches with the view of reducing the danger of corruption in the field of road traffic and super necessary on the threshold of the entering into force of the new Code of administrative violations of the Russian Federation (CoAV RF) i.e. since July 1, 2002. This information will allow you to fill yourself with more confidence in case of talks with the traffic policeman and, we hope in it, will squeeze the scale of corruption on the road. More…
4. On demand of the Club 2015 in September-October 2001 the group of authors of the INDEM Foundation represented by M.A.Krasnov, G.A. Satarov, M.A. Fedotov prepared prognosis relating to corruption (load *.zip) and constitution (load *.zip) as of 2015. More…
5. The INTERNET gaining more and more ground in Russia may provide great support for the purpose of fighting corruption. The main line of its application is drawing up specialized sites dedicated to the counteraction to corruption, that will contain manifold material on the subject matter, with the view to provide coordinating, consulting and to build-up an anti-corruption network in Russia. The report is meant for the analysis of problems that relates to the specific of such information, its gathering and placing in Internet and channeling to the prospective consumer. The problem of forming of all-Russian anti-corruption network is also analyzed, since to register merely one’s site is nowadays just a matter of technique. More…
6. “Electoral aspects of corruption” It’s for a long time that electoral corruption has been considered as a standard of political process in Russia. It can be said with full certainty that in Russia corruption does not menace the electoral and political system in a whole but forms its integral part. A detailed analysis of the situation is on the paper (load *.zip ).
7. The creation of a public INTERNET resource on the problems of fighting with corruption is backed since July 2001 by the Eurasia Foundation. The resource is being built up on the basis of a system of databases containing information about publications on corruption in books, newspapers and magazines (both bibliography and the very publications or their annotations), information on organizations, taking up the problems of counteraction to corruption (primarily – in Russia), laws and subordinate legislation that relates to corruption as well as a software complex for interactive communication of visitors of the site (holding of teleconferences, “hotlines”, social surveys and the like). Besides, the planning resource will contain materials on problems of corruption, arising in the course of realization of other programs carrying out by the INDEM Foundation connected with this problem, as well as information materials of the grantor concerning the problem.
8. The project entitled “Diagnosis of corruption in Russia” was performed on request by the World Bank. Within the framework of the project a complex of statistical and sociological studies of different aspects of corruption, its origin and particular features were undertaken. The analysis covered experts, officials, businessmen and ordinary people. The work resulted in the analytical paper “Diagnosis of corruption in Russia: Sociological analysis”. More…
9. The paper “ Corruption in Russia and around the World” was drawn up in 2001. It contains a comparative analysis of various studies carried out in different countries of the World. The analysis of consistency of different approaches of corruption measuring was performed on the basis of the use of data collected through various surveys. Separately the detailed examination was given to such aspect of corruption as “state capture”. As for transit states a nonlinear relations between the degree of this type of corruption and their level of advance on the way of transit was discovered.
10. The paper “Corruptiogenicity of legal regulations” was drawn up in 2001. It pioneers the use of the systematic analysis of legal regulations whatsoever that are able if used to originate additional conditions for corruption. The analysis was carried out on the basis of definitive regulations currently in force in the legal system of Russia.
11. The establishment within the structure of the INDEM Foundation of the Center for studies of shadow economy and economical problems of corruption was launched in the fall of 2000. The Center is founded for the purpose of joining activities on common subject-matter within uniform organizational framework. The mission of the Center will consist of development and implementation of new technique of analysis of the shadow economy and corruption, evaluation of their economical consequences as well as working out of measures of combating them and reduction of the damages incurred because of these phenomena. The primary tasks at the Center are the analysis of the structure of corruption, that of shadow economy and of their interconnection, i.e. the discovery of interaction between corruptive elements of the state apparatus and the shadow domain of economy. One of the central tasks herewith will be the elaboration of methods of assessment of economical damage caused by corruption and their implementation for specific branches of Russian economy and/or definite regions of Russia. An applicable result of the work should be the development of recommendations on cutting down corruption and undesirable shadow economy sectors.
12. The workshop on “Corruption analysis methods” started its activity within the INDEM Foundation in 2000. It is given by officers and experts of the INDEM Foundation to senior and graduating students with whom the work is carried out in Moscow State University and in Higher School of Economics. The workshop is meant for discussing most eminent foreign publications and original works under implementation in the INDEM Foundation.
13. The basis of anticorruption policy of Russia is worked out by the INDEM Foundation in 2000 on request of the National anticorruption committee in 2000. This analytical memorandum includes the list of administrative, legislative, public and other measures forming in the aggregate an anticorruption policy program. This document was submitted to the President, the Government, and the Chambers of the Federal Assembly.
14. The establishment of the National anticorruption committee public association took place on the initiative of the Foundation in fall 1999. It was composed of politicians of different orientation, retired highly ranked specialists from law enforcement structures, experts, journalists, and businessmen. The organization directs its efforts to development and implementation of the measures eradicating circumstances, engendering corruption. The INDEM Foundation assumed functions of analytical structure under that organization. (www.anti-corr.ru)
15. The paper “Russia and Corruption: who will carry the day” was prepared in 1998 at the request of the Council for foreign and defense policy. It contains an historical essay on corruption in Russia, detailed analysis of its causes and negative consequences. Nearly half of the paper is dedicated to the analysis of the anticorruption policy in Russia and to the description of its probable content. The report was published in press and as a separate brochure, nowadays it is laid out on the INDEM Foundation’s site. This paper was used as a basis for the future works of the Foundation, containing practical recommendations on the ways of counteraction of corruption. More…
16. The paper “Corruption modelling”. Got ready by the beginning 1997 on request of the Presidential administration. The last revised and supplemented edition of the paper is laid out on the INDEM Foundation’s site. The paper contains the review of the major theoretical perceptions as of the nature of corruption and mathematical simulations of this phenomenon. Some own studies of the Foundations are set forth in the latest edition of the paper. Reduced versions of the paper were published in scientific literature and became thus the first publications representing in Russian that layer of nonfiction. From this paper the performance of a series of projects on specific models of corruption started in the Foundation (for instance, of corruption models inside innovative processes). More…